Sources of information, advice and services for travel
and going on
holiday if you are disabled or have mobility problems.
Resources and links categories for help and assistance - disabled travel
Air and Rail
Travellers with Special Needs
Disabled Travel Insurance:
Disabled Travel Databases:
- International Airport Guide. Information on hotels and other services at over 100 international airports.
- MapQuest. Detailed maps of major cities around the world.
- Multimap. Comprehensive street map of Great Britain, Ireland and Europe.
- Ordnance Survey.
- The Foreign Office. Advice on world danger spots and contact addresses of British embassies and high commissions around the globe.
- Virtual London - Information supplied by the London Tourist Board.
Disabled Travel Health Resources:
- Fit for Travel. Excellent site run by the Travel Medicine Division of the Scottish Centre for Infection and Environmental Health.
- Health Advice for Travellers. NHS Choices
Advisory Service for Travellers Abroad (MASTA).
Holidays for the Disabled People - Links:
- Accessible travel tips for people with disabilities in Vatican City
- Chalets Direct. Ski accommodation.
- Ski Bonjour Ski chalets and accommodation in Val d’Isère and Tignes, France.
- Down Hall is a luxury country house wedding venue, restaurant and hotel. Offering unrivalled facilities and ideally located on the Essex/Hertfordshire border. The hotel has excellent access and facilities for all disabilities.
- Expedia. Good for discount flights.
- Seable. Specialise in accessible sport and leisure activity holidays for those with limited mobility and the visually impaired.
- Thomas Cook. Browsing but no actual booking online.
- Virgin Holidays.
Disabled Air and Rail Travel Links:
- British Airways.
- Cheap Flights. Trawls airlines for the cheapest deals
- Europrail International. European rail passes for North American travellers.
- Euro Railways.
- Railtrack. Useful national timetable.
- Virgin Atlantic.
Disabled Road Travel Links:see also Disabled Car Insurance and Disabled Car Hire
- Frixo. Provides current Road Traffic Reports. It's a free service aimed at giving you live traffic news and information. Frixo specialises in traffic news and reports making it easy to use whether you're about to make a journey or out and about using their mobile service.
- National Express. Bus and coach travel.
- RAC. Check on traffic news before you depart.
Travellers with Special Needs Links:
- Holidays in a wheelchair. A selection of holiday properties/services that have genuine wheelchair access.
- Can be Done Ltd. Trips abroad for the disabled independent traveller, inspected hotels and accessible day trips from London.
- Cosley and Houston Alpine Guides. Climbing trips for the hearing impaired.
- Global Dialysis. This site has all the information that you need if you need dialysis abroad.
- Mencaps Holiday Service. An annual programme of holidays for young people and adults with learning disabilities.
- New Mobility. Net magazine for adventurous wheelchair users.
- Sprout. Non-profit travel and recreation for people with developmental disabilities.
- Wheelchair Travel LimitedTours of London and other cities for wheelchair users. Transfers to ports and airports and self-drive rental of vehicles with lifts and adaptations.